Polaroid Type 55
selenium toned silver gelatin print
The Coliseum (also referred to as the Colosseum
or the Amphitheatrum Flavium
) is the largest amphitheater in the world. Construction took eight years and was completed in 80 A.D. The Coliseum was built just outside of the Roman Forum.
This image was created at 6:00 a.m. in an effort to avoid the throngs of tourists that visit the Coliseum each day (est. 7000 each day). Also, the sun rises directly behind the structure, which created some interesting 'dithering' of light against the exterior arcades. I was pleasantly surprised to find horse-drawn carts lined up against the base of the monument, waiting to give visitor tours. They really added a vintage element to the photograph.
Photographed using a Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5 camera and Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.5 lens with a #24 red filter. Image printed on Kentmere fiber-based paper. Selective bleaching utilized. Accolades
- 2015 Single Image Winner: Travel/People/Places category, Single Image Contest 2015, Black & White Magazine. Arroyo Grande, CA.
- 2014 Short-Listed Film Photographer, F/F'14 Part 2, Fotofilmic '14. Vancouver, Canada. Jurors: Mark Steinmetz, John Matkowsky, Alejandro Cartagena, Nathalie Daoust, Aglae Bory, and Anne Lass.
- 2010 Contributor, B&W: 2010 Portfolio (Travel/People/Places category).
- 2009 Finalist, Photographer's Forum 29th Annual Spring College Photography Contest. Jurors: Nell Campbell, Christopher Broughton, Cheryl Younger, and Eduard Uzemekis.
- 2009 Exhibitor, Shrode Photography Competition. The Shrode Art Center, Mount Vernon, IL. Juror: Ray Marklin.
- 2009 Exhibitor, 2nd Annual Photogenesis Photography Exhibition: f/11, and hold it steady. Atrium Gallery, University Museum, Carbondale, IL.
- 2008 Exhibitor, 33rd Annual 2008 Paducah Summer Festival Photo Competition. Tribeca, Paducah, KY. Juror: Chris Walker.
- 2008 Exhibitor, image-makers and travel. the red ear, Alto Pass, IL. Curated by Lauren Shrensel-Zadikow.
- Black & White. 2015. B&W Single Image: Travel/People/Places Category. on-line
- Behlen, M (ed.). September 2014. Pryme Magazine, Issue 1: "Instant Revolution". Fresno: MagCloud, pp. 57 - 62.
- FotoFilmic '14 Short List #2. 2014. 1 of 30 international photographers selected for a feature of three (3) images, biography, and artist statement. on-line
- Black & White. 2010. 2010 Portfolio Contest: Travel/People/Places Category. on-line
- Photographer's Forum. 2009. Best of Photography 2009. Santa Barbara: Serbin Communications, p. .